Tuesday, July 2, 2013

WSOP Part 2-The Cash Games

Got out of Vegas alive but not without some absurdity. I was scheduled to take the red-eye home on Sunday night at 11:30 p.m. Got to the airport at 9:45 and was informed that the 11:30 flight was delayed and was now a 3:30 a.m. flight. Uggggh. So I checked my bag, got my boarding pass and circled back to the Strip for a bit more Omahahaha to kill 3 or 4 more hours. Flight finally left closer to 4 a.m. and I got home to Baltimore around 1. Obligatory hugs, etc. with the kids and Big Man is fast asleep by 1:20.

Anyway, a bunch of interesting hands so I will likely do this in 2 or possibly 3 parts.

I played a total of ~64 hours over the week broken down about as follows:

5/10 NL 2 sessions ~8 hours
2/5 NL 6 sessions ~20 hours
1/3 NL 1 session ~3 hours
1/2/5 PLO 6 sessions ~20 hours
5/5 PLO 2 sessions ~10 hours
1/2/5 Big O 1 sesion ~2 hours
Misc 8/16 Mixed, 20/40 O8 ~2 hours

Fortunately I won at each game at each level.

In total I played ~64 hours for a profit of $4,686 or almost $74/hour.

Here are some of the more interesting hands I played:

The first 3 hands are with the same 2/5 villain and the first 2 hands set up the 3rd. Villain is a baddish live LAG. Pretty sure I have seen him at Borgata. He does the typical live-ish stuff we all see: open limp, raise to see where he is, make desperation bluffs that make little sense, etc.

My image is probably pretty aggressive, raising in position, etc.

Hand 1-Pay Attention!

2 limps including villain. I go $30 with AK Only villain calls.

(Pot ~$70) Flop T53 He checks, I bet $45, he reluctantly calls. I think he is pretty weak here and certainly doesn't have TP+ IMO..A4, A2, AJ+, 67s, 46s, etc are all in his range along with perhaps 44, 66 type hands.

(Pot ~$160) 3 Now I guess fl draws are a part of his range but I just didn't think he had a flush here. He checks, I still think I am good some % of the time but I catch him looking at his cards before I act. For whatever reason I immediately zoomed in on Ax and really feel that is what he was double checking. I don't think there is a ton of value in betting so I check it back.

(Pot ~$160) River is an absolute brick 8 He insta bets $100. Given my read and my belief that he had the bare A the only hand that improved on this river is A8o and I just don't see how he gets to the river with that hand. I decide to call. he shows AQ and I win a mid sized pot.

Key here was paying attention. When he went back and double checked his hand I really was confident he had A. He began muttering and complaining that I called with AK high which leads to the next hand.

Stacking off with 1 pair

Villain now has ~480 and this is only an orbit or two later. I open AQ from EP to 20. Get 3 calls including villain in BB.

(Pot ~$80) A64 Checks to me and I bet $55..folds to villain who c/r to $160. I think for a moment and feel like his range here is 2 pr+, flush draws, maybe a combo draw or two and probably worse Ax hands. So I flat.

(Pot ~$400) I'm pretty much calling any non , 3, 5, 7 or 8. With a I think I am folding to most ships..with the others I think I am tanking a bit and am not sure how I'll react. Anyway turn is 2 and he ships $320ish. This changes very little unless he has exactly 35 so I call rather quickly. Judging by his reaction I am virtually certain he has .

Pot (~$1,040) River J and he shows 58 for a flopped combo draw. I hold and drag a nice pot.

Now he is on raging tilt talking about me calling with 1 pair, etc. One thing about bad regs is I don't think they have any clue about their table image. I mean he is exuding tilt characteristics and thus I am going to call him down lighter and lighter until he gets himself under control.

This would lead to the next hand where he plays a hand totally face up and I just need to win a flip.

LOL overbet Jam

I open JJ to 25 over a limper from MP. LP calls, BTN calls and tilter open ships $400 from SB. I think this is an easy call given his table demeanor and I guess an extremely tight range is like 99-QQ, AK, AQ, KQs. Given that and the $100 dead in the pot calling $380 seems easy. I call (the other callers are pretty ABC and never have me beat here).


ProPokerTools Hold'em Simulation
94,176,720 trials (Exhaustive)
Hand Pot equity Wins Ties
JhJd57.47% 53,115,7792,020,785
AK, AQ, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KQs42.53% 39,040,1562,020,785

Widen his range to include AJ, 66+, etc and it is obvious that calling here is trivial. Note I think he almost NEVER has AA or KK here.

ProPokerTools Hold'em Simulation
138,696,624 trials (Exhaustive)
Hand Pot equity Wins Ties
JhJd63.79% 87,290,9432,379,687
AK, AQ, AJ, 66-QQ, KQs36.21% 49,025,9942,379,687

He tables AQ then basically begs me to run it twice. I agree. I have no problem running it twice. I feel like it is something the weaker players really rely on and I think if they are comfortable I don't want them to not play anymore because they are no longer comfortable. So I will often agree to run it twice to appease them. I am fairly ambivalent on running it twice and almost always leave it to the other dude.

Anyway we run it 2x and I lose both board. First to a flush and 2nd to a rivered Q. After this I still hear him whining about me calling him with AK and now with JJ. Unfortunately he would continue to spew off; just not to me anymore.

Will follow with a few more good hands later including a fun river PLO bluff!

3 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Wow! This is a breath of fresh air compared to your prior post. This is a very chipper & upbeat post - proper analysis, confident, etc. Your last post left you questioning yourself & your play (which was mostly variance / bad luck). I'm glad you chose to utilize your time by playing cash games. Smart move!

Welcome back to the east coast.

Brian said...

Thanks..hopefully my posts don't come across negative. I am pretty flatlined when it comes to results. Typically when I am bad beat or whatever, I curse it for a few minutes then I walk away.

My favorite story along these lines occurred when a buddy of mine (non poker player) walked up to a table I was playing 5/5 Big O at. Literally as he walked up I was slamming $2k+ into a 3 way all in pot as a 60% favorite. I get scooped in a $6k+ pot..obligitory FU*K...then I turned to him and said very matter of factly..."You want to get something to eat?" He was like WTF is going on here and why aren't you screaming and yelling?...funny story.

The Poker Meister said...

Either way, I'm glad to see that you're doing a polar turnaround from the tournament forays.