Monday, June 22, 2009

Final WSOP Update

Couple people have asked me about the summary of the trip so here goes:

  • Ended up abt $2.5k for the trip. Most of this came from cash games obviously as my tournament results were not too good. I obviously had to pay to get out there, hotel, cabs, etc. so the end results were probably half of those winnings.
  • I actually didn't play any WSOP events. The schedule didn't really work out well and perhaps I picked the wrong week to go. This week there were two Omaha Hi-Lo events that I would have liked to have played in. The one day that a $1,500 was scheduled I woke up with no desire to grind out a big field event so I just skipped it.
  • The cash game play was ungodly bad. I was talking to my wife and I really feel that I could bank some major cash just playing cash games for a week or so. But I like the lure of the big score in tournaments and feel that I play tournaments well. Unfortunately, there is just SOOOO much variance in tournaments that you need to play a lot of tournaments to even out that variance. There are plenty of stories of pros playing 15-20 events and having zero or 1 cash and losing all of those buy-ins.
  • Next year I may go for 2 weeks: one at beginning of Series and one week later. I will try to schedule around certain specific events (i.e. lower buy-in Omaha Hi-Lo events) and then fill in the rest with cash games.
As I said before there is still an outside chance I go back this year but that is pretty unlikely.

No comments: