Thursday, September 2, 2010

Borgata Poker Open Here I Come!

The BPO starts next week and I am heading up on Wednesday morning. I will be playing the following events:

Wednesday 9/8 $400 Deep Stack NLHE
Thursday 9/9 $200 NLHE Deep Stack Turbo with Re-entry
Friday 9/10 $400 Pot Limit Omaha
Monday 9/13 $400 Omaha H/L Limit
Tuesday 9/14 $340 NLHE (maybe)

I come home for the weekend to play the BCC Club Championship Qualifier on Saturday and Sunday..then return to the B on Monday 9/13. I may just play the H/L on the 13th and then come home.

The Main Event is again a $3500 NLHE event that has 2 start dates Sat and Sunday Sept 18/19. Depending on how the above tournaments go I may go back for this. Most likely I will play Day 1B if this happens (Sunday 19) since Sundays will be a day when most of the young, aggressive internet players will be playing on-line and the field will likely be a little softer.

On-line is LOL...after my last post where I wrote about grinding $100 into a little over $900 my doomswitch was officially flipped by PokerStars and I proceeded to lose 12 buy-ins at $50NL (i.e. $600) in about 25,000 hands. In this stretch about half of the losses were situations where I ran under expected value (EV). All in EV (AIEV) is a variance figure that calculates what you should have won vs. what you actually won once you and an opponent are all in. For example, if I have AA and my opponent gets me all in holding KK, I should win ~80% of the time. If there is $100 in the pot then my AIEV is $80 meaning if this situation ran over and over I should expect to win $80 on average from this pot. If, in fact I win the full $100 then I am running $20 +EV. Conversely if he spikes a K and wins then I am running $80 -EV and I want to Punch a Clown. So back to the last week or so and I am running ~$300 -EV...good times indeed. I have recovered ~$100 in the last few nights, however, so whatever...just keep grinding.

You may note the blogs listed to the right...These are some of the better ones that I read. Here is the general background on each:

  • DoubleFly-Mid to High stakes winning cash game player with a goal of winning $400k this year that he keeps pretty well updated. Really good blog. He used to be a wall street trader who is now living the dream as a player.
  • JK-Very good mid to high stakes cash player who contributes to quite a few poker media outlets. He is on the west coast and has a goal of winning $1M in 2010.
  • Pair the Board-Blog of a low/mid stakes cash player from Canada named Ronfar on Stars. He is a bit of a legend at the .50/1.00-2/4 levels and has been a consistent winner for several years. Also a Supernova Elite on Stars so he makes ~$125k-140k just through their bonus rewards program.
  • Frosty-Low/mid stakes regular on Stars that is going for Supernova Elite in 2010.
  • Playing Top 100 Golf Courses- Really the best golf blog I have found. Reviews all of the premium courses he plays as he tries to play all of the Top 100. I think he is up to like 95 or so. Includes photos of the courses and history as well. Does a nice review of Baltimore CC (my club) and raves about the East course which I certainly appreciate.
Anyway, check these out as they are worth a look.

No comments: