Sunday, September 12, 2010

So far, No good

So far the BPO has been pretty crappy. I went up on Wednesday and played several events. This will be a quick recap of the goings on without my normal commentary on players:

  • $400 NLHE Deep Stack-Started with 25k in chips and did virtually nothing in the first couple of hours. One interesting note; out of approximately 1,000 players two from my Tuesday night game at Steve Dannenmann's house ended up at my initial table. Was me, Steve and another friend of his all at the same table. OF course, he was doing his usual by raising without looking at his cards and then betting all the way to the river with no clue what he was holding. Certainly helped to loosen up the table! In any event, I hung around the initial starting stack and then got moved with about 22k stack when I flopped my one and only set of the 3 day trip. Holding 77 I called an EP raise and saw an A7x flop. Anyway that got me up over 30k when I got moved again, this time next to a good friend of mine from NYC. Ran the stack up to 45k then went on a terrible run of cards and was all the way down to about 22k and got moved to yet another table...directly to the left of Steve D! Very weird. At this table, I went on a nice rush up to over 60k...though one was a suckout. Guy on button raised to 7k at 1500/3000/300. I jammed 35k with AJdd and he snap called with AK...no problem as I flopped a flush...I hung around 60k for quite sometime when a real beauty came up. Blinds were 3k/6k/500. Folds to SB who completes the bet and I check with K4off. Flop comes K49. SB checks and I bet 8k into 16k pot. He check raises to 30k and I shove. He calls and shows AK and I hold to get up near 130k. Finally blinds were up to 4000/8000/1000 and I opened JJ to 21,000 UTG+1 (my first pair over TT in the whole tournament). Guy 2 to my left reraises to 70k and folds back to me. Shitty spot. He is supposed to have AA, KK or AK here every time with the occasional QQ thrown in as well. But I only have 16BB and raise folding a hand as big as JJ is really bad when you are that shortstacked. So I put them in to see KK and am out 40 or so before the bubble. Have to think about that hand a little bit and whether I can possibly fold there.
  • Thursday I played the $230 NLHE Turbo with re-entry. Basically if you busted you could rebuy 2 times back into the tournament any time during the first 2 hours or so. Since it was a turbo the blinds increased every 15 mins rather than the normal 30 or 45 minute levels. I lasted 3.5 hours without much interesting happening. Blinds were 3k/6k/500 and I had run my stack up to about 60k. Guy opened for 20k and I jammed AK. He called with TT and held obv. I again did not make a set in this tournament and just got chips by bulldozing a few pots and trying to take the path of least resistance. But with a little over 10BB in a turbo holding AK the chips are sailing in the middle like every time.
  • Friday was the $400 PLO and this was fun. Unfortunately only 91 posted so it was a bit smaller of a tournament. I really thought I was going deep here. In any event I saw a flop on the button with 3 others holding KhTc9h7d, the SB had raised which made me pretty sure he held AAxx or KKxx. Flop comes QJ5 with 2 hearts. SB pots for like 12k and folds to me. I have about 25k total. So I really am making a decision for all my chips. I either need to go with it or fold now. Basically I win with any A or 9 and I make the second nuts with any heart, Q or J. I think about it and if I am going to call a raise with my hand and smash it like this I think I need to go with it. Only thing I don't want to see is AA with Ax of hearts. So I bomb, he snap calls and shows exactly what I feared AATx with 2 hearts. Turn is a 7 which is good and river is 9 giving me the win with a str8. Got me over 45k. Got stack up over 60k when I flopped broadway and got 2 streets of value off of what I suspect was a 2 pr type hand. i also flopped Quad 7s and got some good value out of a guy chasing a str8. Finally we are down to 18 or so when a real biggie comes up. EP guy raises to 4k and gets 2 callers. I call on the button with a monster 89TJ double suited in clubs and diamonds. This is questionable on my part. My stack was 32kish and I could have gotten abt 24k in with a pot bet there. I had been pretty quiet and I suspect I would have gotten a lot of respect for that reason. On the other hand I have a huge hand that plays very easily post flop. Also I am consciously playing small ball since I really feel like I have an edge against these players. In any event I call and the BB then pots..all others fold and I stick my chips in. He shows AQJ2 rainbow. I am like 55/45 favorite here. Flop does not disappoint coming 9Tx with 2 diamonds giving me top 2 and J high flush draw. He is drawing to 8 or K that is not a diamond. Turn was a blank and river was the K of spades. Puke. So that was a 65-70k pot with 18ish left. AS it is I am out and barrelling down 95 15 mins later.
My plan is to probably go back for the end of the series and attempt to satellite into the Main Event or just play some of the smaller buy-in events in the tournament.

No comments: