Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Golf not so good...Poker very good

As I mentioned before I am now into the meat of my tournament golf season. So far it hasn't been very good. In one of my previous posts, I described the MD Stroke Play tournament in which I opened with 69 then regressed the rest of the weekend.

Well 2 weeks later I did the exact opposite at our club's stroke play championship. First round was on the West Course and I opened with 80 in very windy conditions. The greens were super quick and rough was thick. This coupled with the wind made the course play as difficult as I have played it and I just was positively awful. I bogeyed the first four holes, followed with pars on 5-12 and then limped in from there with a few more bogeys. On Sunday we played the much longer, much more difficult East Course and I played rock solid for a 72. Strange game. Hit a lot of greens, lot of fairways and was pretty good on and around the greens. Not what I had hoped for the weekend but at least I cam back pretty solid.

Then yesterday I played the US Am Qualifier. The local qualifier was played at my former club, Hayfields CC, so I was looking forward to using my local knowledge. Out of nowhere this weekend I completely lost my driver and started hitting these ugly pull hooks. Not out of control duck hooks but just hard to control balls to the left. Well it showed up yesterday. I opened with birdie on 1, then followed with 3 putt bogeys on 2 and 5 and "normal" bogeys on 3 and the difficult 6th. I made another birdie on 7 before teh pulls showed up on 10,12,13,and 15 with bogeys on each. By then I was toast and posted my pitiful 78. At that point there was no shot of getting one of the 3 spots and they were taking "volunteers" to not play the afternoon 18 (speed up play). So I bailed. I hate to do that but I had no clue off the tee and it was 90+ degrees so I just said F-it.

Gonna take a little golf break and see my teacher next week and see if we can't str8en this shit out before the next several events.

On the poker front all is good. I actually was down to abt $300 in my Full Tilt account and made a decision that I would play with that and if I lost it move all of my play over to PokerStars. FullTilt has kind of screwed me on a rakeback deal and thus I am not putting any more money on that site. The Stars rewards program is so much better than Full Tilt's so I will stick with Stars. Well that $300 is now worth a bit over $3k in about the last 10 days. I am only playing SNG and have been running and playing really well. I am actually about to unlock a ~$500 bonus from Full Tilt at which point I will take a sizable portion of this bankroll offline. SNG are really the easiest most "formulaic" way to make cash and for the most part the play at the low-middle SNGs is atrocious. Mostly I am playing $24 and $36 SNG with the occasional $75 satellite thrown in. Think I will stick to this strategy and buy-in level for some time. Playing much higher you start to bump into a lot of pros and people who play high stakes SNG for a living.

2 comments:

Mike Horn said...

What course was your qualifier on?

You playing 1-table SNGs? After I took 2nd in that Omaha tourney, I emptied most of my FT account and donked off a bunch on the .50/$1 Omaha cash tables (i only left myself about 200 to fart around with so it wasn't a huge loss)

Brian said...

Was at Hayfields.

All are 1 table SNG. I am playing 10-12 tables at a time and generally play 20-25 tables in a session (fire a new one up as I bust out of a tournament). Takes about 1.5 hours to complete a session.