Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August Update

I consciously decided to not touch my clubs for a week or so and actually didn't touch them for nearly 10 days. This is pretty unusual for me but was a nice break and am able to recharge for the remaining part of the summer and fall tournament schedule. I actually went to see my teaching pro last weekend and we noticed that some of my fundamentals had gotten sloppy (setup, footwork, etc.) Worked on it with him for an hour or so and am definitely hitting it better. Next week is the MD Mid-Am so we shall see if the work pays off. I have finished top 10 in this event the last 4 times I have played it including 2 top 5's. So this should be an event that I have a chance.

I also have finally started to get more serious about fitness, diet, etc. I turn 40 next week and look around at the competitors I play against in tournaments and they are all athletic, strong kids. If I really want to compete with them I have to get in better shape and get stronger. When I talked to my instructor about it he responded "Name the top ten players in the world". So I say, Tiger, Mickelson, Harrington, Ogilvy, Furyk, Casey, Stricker, etc. One common denominator is all those guys are pretty fit strong guys (people give Phil shit about his man boobs but even he is in much better shape than he was 5 or 6 years ago). Even on the Champions Tour the studs are Funk, Langer, Roberts, etc. and those guys are workout warriors. Other than a handful of guys like Daly and Calc there just aren't many out of shape guys anymore. So I am pushing pretty hard to eat better and work out a bit harder and smarter. Lost a few already and feel stronger as well.

My 6 year old plays in her first golf tournament this Saturday at our country club and she is pretty excited. She only started taking lessons this year but she seems to enjoy it so that will be neat to watch her play. It is a 3 hole tournament for her age group so I am sure that should be a trip.

Poker is still going well. I have cashed out over $4k in the last month just playing SNG. I cleared the mid year bonus that Full Tilt was offering and then got another $500 bonus from them as part of their "Biggest Bonus Ever" promotion. I am a little less than half way through clearing that at this point. I wil continue to grind out these SNG as they seem to be the easiest and fastest ways to earn $$ without the wild swings associated with tournaments or the constant pressure of online cash games where you can lose your whole stack in one hand. I may go to The Borgata in September for their Borgata Poker Open but I am not sure. It runs in mid-September and I have a bunch of stuff going on around then that may keep from going. They are having a PLO and Omaha Hi-Lo event as part of the series so I would love to play those.

Will update next week after Md Mid with hopefully something good.

No comments: