Monday, June 9, 2008

Out of Venetian Deep Stack

Played the noon $500 Venetian Deep Stack event. 280ish players showed up to generate a prize pool of abt 140k with first being 45,000 or so. Great event with really good starting stacks and 40 min blind levels. Start with 15,000 in tournament chips so plenty of room for play. Here a few of the interesting hands:

2nd level. I started the hand with about 18k in chips. Active late position player raised the pot to 300 (50/100 blinds). I chose to just call on the button with KK. Flop comes 459. He leads at the pot for 550 and I just call. Turn is a Q. He checks and I bet 1000. He thinks for a while and makes it 2800. Bet makes no sense unless he flopped trips. Could be AQ suited too I guess. I just call. River is a blank (6 I think) and he checks. I think there is no real value in betting there and check behind (He only calls with a hand that beats me and probably doesn't put anymore money in with AQ-KQ. He shows KQ and I scoop a nice pot.

I lose a few pots with raises and continuation bets and my stack drifts down to about 22k. I then lose a decent pot with QQ on the following action. I raise to 450 at 50/100 with one limper in front of me. Button calls (big stack) and big blind re-raises to 1500. BB has been very aggressive preflop and very weak after the flop. So I call of course. Button calls as well. Flop comes J45 with 45 of clubs. BB bets 2500 into the pot and I pretty sure I am ahead of him. I reraise to 6000. Button shoves all-in. BB then thinks for a good 5 mins and folds (now I know I was behind him too as he prob had AA or KK...oops good read Bri-Bri). I think and think and put the button on either trips or a hand like AJ of clubs. Finally I fold since I will still have plenty of chips and figure at best I am a slight favorite over AJ clubs and at worst I am crushed by 444, 555 or JJJ. He shows AJ of clubs. Of course if I knew that I would have called but good play by him.

My stack hovered between 14k and 18k for the next 2 levels when I completely misplayed a hand. Blinds are 100/200 with a 25 ante. I catch 55 (hearts and spades) in the cuttoff (position before the button) and raise to 575. BB calls. Flop comes A24 with the 24 of spades. He bets 1,000 and I call hoping to take away the pot later and/or hit my hand. At this point he probably has a bigger pair, an A or nothing. Turn is a 3 of spades giving me the A-5 str8 and an up and down str8 flush draw. He checks which is fishy and I check behind. River is a K spades putting a 4 flush on the board. Bad card for me but I figure I can't win if I don't bet. He checks and I fire out 2k. He insta raises me all in and I have to fold. He shows me AQ of spades for a monster. Stack down to 10k or so. I really just played that hand poorly.

I dwindle down to abt 7.5k in chips when the final hand comes up. I am in small blind and blinds are 300/600 with 50 ante. 3 people limp and I complete the bet with 34 hearts. I almost shoved all in preflop with all the dead money in there but I wussed out. BB checks and flop comes 853 unsuited (rainbow). Not a terrible flop for me as it is unlikely to have hit anyone. I check though and checks all the way around. Turn is a 5 putting the second heart on the board. Good card for me to represent. I fire 2500 into the 3200ish pot. Only the button calls. River is A diamonds. So she could have missed her flush and I have to go with it at this point and fire at the pot representing that 5. I bet 3800 of my remaining 4400 in chips trying to look like I want a call. She goes in the tank for nearly 10 mins and finally calls with T8clubs. Huh? WTF?? I can't decide if she made a sick call or was just a calling station. Next hand I am out when I go all in blind with q6 offsuit and miss all 5 cards. Oh well.

Cash games tonight!

BRW

No comments: