Monday, June 9, 2008

FINALLY made it to Vegas

What a trip it was yesterday. Getting here was a complete nightmare. Because of the delays, etc. I did not make it for last night's Omaha Hi-Lo event. Here is a quick review of my travels:




  • Flew from Baltimore to Columbus, OH. No real trouble there.

Then it all began....



  • We sat on the runway at Columbus for 45 mins or so..

  • I was stuck next to old guy who would pepper me with questions every time I took my earphones off. He also hogged the armrests, took off his shoes to reveal his smelly, dirty socks and leaned over me to carry on a conversation with the mouth breather in the other aisle..

  • We then had to re-route the plane to go around some storms which added approximately 1.5 hours of airtime. And of course as the airlines always do they announced that it would ONLY add 15-20 mins of flying, then revised that to 40 mins, an hour, hour and 15 and finally the freaking truth 1.5 extra hours..

  • Got off and decided I would save $10 and take the shuttle to the hotel rather than a cab. Good idea Bri. 1 hour and 20 mins later I was finally out of the shuttle with some random person's bag. The driver had given her my bag and me hers. After multiple phone calls we determined the other person was at the Bellagio and the shuttle company would send someone to make the swap. 90 mins later I have the proper bags..

So that was the day for me. I hope that is not a bad omen.



I did get some cash game play in. Playing $2/$5 No-Limit Hold Em. Nothing really exciting but I ended up approx $250 for the session. I really only played one meaningful hand in about 2 hours of play. I held AQ offsuit UTG (under the gun which means I was first to act before the flop-just to the left of the blinds). I raised to $15 as I hadn't played a hand in a while and figured my raise from early position would get a little respect. 4 callers go the flop which is A99. We checked around. I am either way ahead now or way behind if someone holds a 9 so there really is no value in betting there in my opinion. I know noone has AK (the only other hand that beats me at this point) as they would have reraised me preflop. Turn is a 2. BB checks and I bet $50 into the $75 pot. At this point noone has shownany interest so I am virtually certain I am best and want to get called by hands like AT, AJ, maybe A5, 6, 7 or 8. Everyone folds to BB who calls. Now I know he has a weaker A or a hand like 88, 77, 66 and doesn't believe I have an A. River is a blank (I think a 5). He checks again so now I am sure he has a weak A and I fire another bet of $60 into the pot. He calls and shows A8. I scoop the pot. Other than that just a few small pots and nothing really exciting. Overall the level of play was pretty weak so hopefully that will be good for me.



Anyway, enough for now. I am playing in an event today at Noon so I will report on that later this evening or early tomorrow.



BRW


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Brian, I'm just starting to read your blog. In the AQ hand after everyone checked the flop, if another player leads out on the turn what type of bet would make you reconsider your assessment that no one is holding a 9? - Dan

Brian said...

Boy this was a long time ago...lol. I don't remember exactly the players, of course, but in a vacuum now I would mostly call all the way down most fish and call turns from almost everyone and fold some rivers against thinking opponents.

It's funny I sort of cringe at some of these old posts. My thinking wasn't very good but neither were my opponents. I feel a lot more confident in my thought processes and play now than I did 5.5-6 years ago. Just think I am a way better player.