Monday, June 17, 2013

WSOP Part 1a

I set off for the desert Friday June 7th for ~a week of poker.  The plan was to play a lot of tournaments and a bunch of cash games but the tournaments ended up taking most of the time and limiting the amount of cash games I played.  I did play a bit but the possibility of 50+ hours of cash never materialized.  Anyway here is a quick summary of the events I did play (will probably break into 2 parts since there are a few interesting spots)

Friday June 7

I got out there ~9:30 a.m. PST and was intending to play the Binions 1k NLHE.  I actually rented a car for this trip since I was planning on being around the strip and downtown a bit throughout the week.  Anyway, I checked in to the cess pool that is the Rio and set off for downtown .  Once there I quickly realized they were going to have a VERY small field in the 1k and walked across Freemont Street to The Golden Nugget and jumped in their $240 PLO8.  The field was predictably LOL but I never really accumulated any chips and busted about 2/3 of the way through losing AK24
After busting I hightailed it to Venetian to play their nightly $300 busting right before the first break AK
Saturday June 8

I had regged the night before for the Venetian $400 Day 1a so for once I wasn't rushing around all morning to get there on time.  With 12k starting stack, 40 minute levels and 2 day 1's, it looked like a pretty good prize pool was likely.  Nothing super interesting happened early until just before the second break:


  • Blinds are 200/400/50a and I have abt 35k.  I open to 1k in MP with 89dd.  C/O calls, BB calls and we take a flop with ~3500 in pot.  Flop comes 567r and I lead 1.5k and old man in c/o raises to 6k.  Pretty sure he is strong here as he has flat called AA 3 times and KK 2 times just in the 6 levels we have played.  So I go 15k, he ships and I call to see his AA...lol.  That got me to 80k.
From there I chipped up to 100kish when I played a hand perhaps a bit too fast:

  • Blinds 600/1200/200a.  UTG opens to 2.5k, 2 callers and I call in SB with QJhh.  Flop comes QT5 with T and 5 of hearts.  I choose to lead for 6k into 12.5.  Not sure how I feel about this but anyway only the C/O calls with 28k behind.  He was a tight solid English kid and I should be behind here almost always (at least AQ or KQ), sets, two pairs, I guess he could have Axhh where I am a bit ahead.  Anyway, turn is an 8 which now gives me a gutshot.  Made another marginal decision to lead here for 9k and when he ships I know I am drawing.  He has TT obv and I brick river and am back down to 40k.  Hate the way I played this pot.
Anyway I buck up and grind the next 3 or 4 levels until we bag with 25 players and I have ~90k coming back to 1200/2400/300a which was pretty much avg stack.

Sunday  June 9

Since Day 2 of the Venetian wasn't until Monday, I had the day off Sunday and decided to find a one day tournament.  Found a PLO event down at Binions so I went down there.  First 2 levels I played virtually every pot against these fish and finally smashed a few flops and had it to 60k in a few levels.  When we got down to 20ish I was chip leader and was rolling my table.  I literally opened 2/3 of the pots for raises and pots I didn't win pre-flop I won rather easily post flop.  Did lose a big pot on the final table bubble with top 2 vs. a bare J hi flush draw where the guy more or less said he couldn't take it anymore and stuck it in really bad only to get there.We combined at 9 with 7 paying, one guy busted and they all wanted to have 8th get their money back.  I finally agreed then proceeded to lose a big flip with a wrap and flush draw to top set and finally lost AK75 to 9854 of the big stack all in on A96 flop...turn T river 7 obv.  GG Big Man.

Monday June 10

Call the wife for our 13th Anniversary! She's a good sport! Then back to Venetian at 2 for Day 2 of the $400.  63 came back with 54 cashing and $42k up top.  This wouldn't last long.  Blinds 1.5/3k/400a.  I open AKcc to 6.5k...BB is an older dude and he rips like 50k.  I count it down to make sure and I call to see what I expect...QQ.  He never shoves AA or KK (at least I don't think he does).  Anyway I brick and now have to limp into the money ultimately busting 41st for peanuts.

Since I busted around 4 p.m. I was able to jump into the 4 p.m. $600 PLO right there at Venetian.  Started with 15k and at first break I had 90k.  Don't remember a ton of hands but it was absurd.  I just had the nuts a lot and others couldn't fold due to my absurd table image.  From here I folded a lot until the last few hands of the night.  We were down to 22 or so (18 cashed) and I flatted a raise on the BTN with 89TJ rainbow.  If I was suited I would have raised pre-flop but rather play in position then just raise and flip.  Flop comes 567dd and fishy big stack in BB leads for full pot (think like 15k).  I say "No diamonds" and bomb.  He calls off my stack and shows KK34dd with bottom end of the straight and K hi flush draw.  I hold and double to 160k.  Pick up a few more pots and bag 179k with 20 left.  Avg stack was ~140ish so I was in good shape.

Will post Part 1b tomorrow or Wednesday....

No comments: