Friday, June 21, 2013

Sometimes we run bad...sometimes we play bad

So last night I had one of those sessions we all dread. Played 1/2 for a bit waiting for a seat, then moved to 2/5 waiting for 5/10 game to go off, then they called the 5/10 game and sat in that for about 5 hours. All told here are the breakdowns by stake:

1/2: +400
2/5: -700
5/10: -2,000

Total -2,300

See a trend there...lol. Ran bad...didn't play all that great and got coolered in a few spots.

Here are a few of the more interesting hands:

Hand 1-TP; meh kicker

1/2 I raise T9 in MP to 12. c/o calls and BTN calls. Both know I am waiting for bigger games and I am splashing a lot trying to loosen up the game.

(Pot ~38) Flop 962 I lead 25 and both call. I feel like c/o is stronger than BTN and BTN has a ton of draws in his range...gutters, fl draws, etc.

(Pot ~110) Turn 2 I think I need to lead here still for value and bet 65. Both call, although BTN almost folds then gives it the old WTF "I call" routine. At this point I feel like c/o can have TT, J9s, A9s, etc. and most of his range beats me. i still beat 89s, 79s and draws. I think BTN only has draws and I really did not expect a call from him on turn. After he calls I say out loud "Wow this hand is really weird"

(Pot ~305) River 5. Fills in the straight. I check...they have 150 and 200 behind respectively. I think I am folding to c/o and evaluating BTN. They both show 79s and I scoop. Don't think I bet the river though.

The nuts pre...then we do some stuff post


Get moved to the 2/5 game when I played a weird hand with AK

I raised to 25 in MP and got call from BTN and call from BB. BB is very fit or fold and BTN is a terribad LAG who thinks he is a super thinking player but is really just a spazz IMO. Every time it is checked to him he bets without fail, etc.

Pot (~75) Flop 567r. I lead 50, BTN almost folds then calls, BB folds. I feel like BTN is floating here some, has one pair type hands a lot A7s, A6s, etc.

Pot (~175) Turn 4-no flush draw. I decide I am going to ch/shove here as it is hard for him to call with many hands although I am only repping 88, 78s, A8s, etc. So I check, he bets 150 which looks really bluffy to me. I ch/r to all in for 525 total and he pretty much snaps with 35o.

I miss my chop outs and he scoops a good sized pot. I would use my knowledge of him later in 5/10 as he just tries to outplay you everytime he plays a pot. Think I thought it through well he just had 1 of the 2 or 3 hands that could call a ch/shove.

I have two more interesting hands that I played. Both are pretty standard but would like some opinion. Will post those in a bit.

2 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Hand 1: Yeah - tough bet on the river; they have exactly what you need them to have to beat them. For 2 players, it's a tough river value bet - very very thin. They show up with a ton of J9, A9, some Q9, K9. BTN can also show random 2 but I think he's raising turn / riv.

Hand 2: I don't love the crai at all. Exactly what you said: What are you repping here? With a 4straight on the board against a declared spazz, he can call a lot of his range. I think you need to give up on turn. Lastly, in his mind, are you ever cr'ing the 8 in an obvious 4straight hand? You raised PF as well - not sure how often you're doing that, but there are a lot less 8's in your hand when you're bumping it pre.

All of that said, a normal player can only call top / bottom straight here. Normal players have to figure their 7's 6's or 5's are no good in this spot; too much beats them - mainly overpairs. But then they have to consider how often your c/shoving into a 4straight board with a bluff catcher hand, i.e. turning your hand into a bluff.

Again - don't like the crai.

Brian said...

Yeah. It's a weird spot. My hand obv doesn't really matter as I don't know that he is a good enough hand reader to figure anything out. But i can have 78s, 88, 89s, A8s, T8s, etc and all those hands play exactly the same as i am opening them from all over the table

I'm just playing his range and he has to fold a ton of it IMO. 99,TT, 65s, A7s, etc, etc all fold there IMO.

It's one of those hands that look great when they work and look absurd when they don't. Part of the game. Only 1 buy in lol