Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011-Let's Go!!

Now that we are nearly a week into the New Year I want to put the virtual pen to paper and itemize my goals for 2011. Part of the reason I started this blog is because I felt it would hold me accountable, to some extent, since my thoughts, results, etc. would be floating around in cyberspace. So recording my goals for 2011 here will allow me to review and measure results against those goals. Before doing that here is a quick review of 2010:

2010

Overall a good year I would say. First :

  • Made 4 live final tables in roughly 30 tournaments played including 2 chopped "wins" (1 NLHE and 1 HORSE)
  • Had my largest on-line tournament cash ever of just under $14k
  • Won 5 tournaments outright on-line in 3 different games (PLO, NLHE and PLO8) playing relatively few tournaments. I also had a bunch of other final tables in NLHE, HORSE, HOSE, PLO and PLO8.
  • Achieved Supernova status on Stars
  • Made well in excess of $50k even after paying back stakes
But some stuff wasn't as great. So here is :

  • I took some shots at NL $100 and NL $200 in Jan/Feb after my Borgata score and that turned into a disaster.
  • Overall my NLHE cash game is just not great. I am pretty solid live but on-line is another story.
  • I chased VPP's too much towards the end of the year at the price of playing more solid.
  • My only WSOP cash of the year was a min-cash.
  • I didn't return much to my WSOP investors. Even though they know going in there is a shit pot full of risk I want to deliver to those that invest in me.
  • My golf game was erratic and not very good. Tournament scores were piss poor.
So overall I would grade 2010 as a solid B.

2011

For 2011 I have some quantifiable, results oriented goals as well as some less quantifiable ones. But ultimately its about Benjamins as they are scoring mechanism for this game:


  • $40k of total net profits playing part-time. This includes online and live as well as bonus money from Stars. Obviously the regulatory landscape may change and have some affect on this goal. This amount is approx. $3.5k/month and also equates to one of my biggest personal annual expenses (hint: kids are VERY expensive).
  • Ship at least one live tournament. While this is impossible to control getting deep in a bunch of events is key to being able to close something out. So making final tables and making good decisions deep in tournaments is all I can do to put myself in a position to ship.
  • Improve my WSOP record and play at least one mixed game event (HORSE or 8 game depending on the schedule). Obviously going deep in a WSOP is a total crapshoot since other than the Main Event the structures are pretty LOL but I would like to see myself with a good chance for a deep run.
  • At least one online score in excess of 10k. Again hard to control but playing well deep in tournaments giving myself chances are the key.
  • Get some coaching for NLHE cash games if I am going to play them on-line.
  • Play more for profits and less for rakeback/bonuses. Having said that Supernova 200k should be relatively easy if I don't slack off all summer as usual. Supernova 200k is worth approximately $15k in bonuses while 300k is worth a bit north of $22k. So I can't ignore its value entirely.
  • Play 40k hands/month of PLO8. If I do this a lot of the other goals take care of themselves.
  • I also wouldn't mind finding my passion again for golf this summer and compete at the highest level in my state/area.Perhaps qualify for another USGA event.
Obviously I have other goals related to personal and business matters but those are boring. I will revisit this list periodically through the year and adjust/revise as required.

No comments: