Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Out of PLO8 pretty early

Busted out of PLO8 yesterday like halfway through the field. I don't love the way I played but actually the key hands I think were fine. Basically i played 3 big pots and lost the last 2.

Hand 1

We start with 4500 in chips and my first big one came at 25/50. I was in SB. Few callers and LP guy pots to 325. I repot AA25 single suited to 1075 or whatever it was. He 4 bet repots all in for like 3200 with A2KT. Flop is QJ4 and I am like here we go. he is probably ahead on that flop actually. Turn 6, river 6 and I scoop.

Hand 2

Brandon Cantu is on my direct right. He won this event last year and has the reputation of being overly aggressive but he has a WSOP bracelet and WPT title so he can obv play. Anyway he is raising a lot of pots. He raises and I call with A2JJ (could have 3 bet him pre-flop I guess). Flop comes 58T with 2 clubs. I have J2 of clubs. He leads for like 650 into 800 pot. I probably could have called but elected to put some chips in now with all of my draws and an overpair. So I pot. He repots and shows 6889 for a flopped bare set. Turn and river brick off and am down around 2k.

Hand 3

So I nursed that 2k stack down to 1200 then got back up over 3k until my final big pot. I am in BB with KQ97 and 3 limpers to me at 100/200. I check. Flop comes Q62. I check. UTG bets 300 and gets 1 caller so I call to see a turn. Turn is a Q and I jam my last ~1500. UTG calls with A45x with 2 diamonds. River 5 diamonds and he scoops and I am out.

Nightly $340

Jump in nightly 340 a bit late. 2nd hand I play is first hand at 50/100. EP player opens for 300 and I call in LP with 99. Flop 923. He bets 600 and I just call. Turn 3. He bets 1200 and I put the remaining 4kish all in. He snap calls with QQ and says oh wow I am behind. Wow really sir you thought you were going to be ahead I think. River is...wait for it....Q. NH sir and I am out.

On my way down now to play the WSOP $1500 now.

4 comments:

Mike Horn said...

dude, love your updates and good luck, but i gotta say, white text on black background is killin' my eyes...

Brian said...

Ok I hear ya...is the new look better?

Anonymous said...

As for hand 2, you played it fine, but in light of the fact that cantu was probably likely to keep betting on later streets(in keeping with his lag image) perhaps a call would have been warranted because he still would have paid you off if you got te appropriate turn card and it might reduce your variance a bit.

Brian said...

I actually thought about flatting the flop for quite a bit of time. But I thought his hand range could include a few hands that I could fold out with a re-raise. In other words, the set was at the top of what I perceived to be his range. And I thought my range would become more narrowed if I just flatted making it a bit easier for him to play.