Friday, February 6, 2009

FTOPS begins

I played FTOPS #1 on Wednesday night. This was a $200+16 No-limit event. Field had ~6500 runners and I ended up busting around 1600th.

As usual I lost a coin flip in a key spot of the tournament. Midway through the third hour blinds were 170/340/25 an early position player shoved for ~4500. This hand screams AK, AQ and maybe occasionally 99 or TT. I am in the cut-off and tank for a while with 88 (I have ~8,500 in chips). I am pretty sure this is a race so lets go. I reship all in to isolate on the short stack. Suddenly the BB tanks and uses all of his time bank finally calling off with AK. The short stack had AQ so I am actually about 45% to get a nice healthy 20kish stack. But I run like death and flop had Q; turn had K and I am out since BB had me covered.

My final tally for the satellites is as follows:

Seats won: 35
Attempts: 80

This equates to a 26% ROI for those satellites. Still higher than expected but certainly more realistic than what I had been running. BTW I ended up 5th in the satellite challenge so no extra bonuses for me. I simply can't put in the volume some of the others do.

That same night I played some other tournaments but bricked off in the: FTP 4k (PLO), FTP 50k guarantee, and PS 70k guarantee. But still won some satellites so night was still somewhat profitable.

Last night was a different story however. I ran SOOOO BAD in a bunch of SNG so I switched over to some 5/10 Omaha HL and promptly lost 40BB ($400) in about an hour 3 tabling. I would flop nut low draws with nut flush and brick all the way. Very frustrating. Running this bad can be demoralizing so I got up off those tables and just played 3 tables of $1-$2 CAP No Limit HE. Ran better here and had a few fish basically giving me their money. One hand a guy raised to $7.. another reraised to $17 so I shoved AA for the CAP $60 and got called by AK and JJ....lol. Anyway this 3.5 hour total session went from down ~$800 (yikes) to down ~$150. Was looking like 1/2 of the profits I had won over the last month were going to go up in smoke but I was able to fight back to a much more palatable amount.

Live poker has been rather comical as well. In my last 3 Tuesday night tournament games I have been busted by the following hands:
  • Flopped K high Flush on FIRST hand and lost to a rivered A high flush. All money went in on the flop.
  • QQ (me) vs 99 All in preflop. Turned str8 for 99.
  • AA (me) vs KQdd All in preflop. Turned 2 pair for KQ.
Doing well in the cash games though so what the hell.

Because of work getting crazy I will play very few tournaments in the near term. I may go home early next Wednesday for the 2:00 FTOPS Omaha Hi-Lo and I will likely play a bunch of stuff on Sunday the 15th as my wife and kids are going away for a couple of days for the 3 day weekend and I have to stay here and work. Fuck me this time of year.

No comments: