Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sunday

Don't really have time to a thorough rundown of last Sunday due to work getting pretty insane. Basically the day was a bust with the exception of the FTOPS Main Event and the satellites to that same event. Unfortunately, I finished third by 1 in the satellite challenge with 23 seats. I bricked off in the last 5 satellites I played and that would have put me over the top. I don't really remember since there was so many games but I do remember I suffered 2 pretty bad beats in those final 5 and that was the nail in the coffin. All that means is I got no bonuses for finishing 1st or 2nd in satellite challenge. That will change in the the next FTOPS in May. I will be able to put in more volume and am confident I will win some challenges and get the bonus $$$.

Other than the FTOPS Main Event I had two min cashes that were insignificant. I did skip a bunch of the tournaments I had planned to play due to the heavy satellite volume I was playing trying to win the challenge. Here is a quick rundown of the more major events:

FTOPS #24 (Bounty): Chipped up well early from original stack (started with 7,500 I think) to about 12k. Then went pretty card dead for about an hour. Finally in the third hour, I shoved AK suited over a raise and BB woke up with KK and I missed for 85% of my stack. Can't remember how I buted but was pretty uneventful.

PokerStars Sunday Warmup: First two hours pretty uneventful. Got up around 14k with a 10k starting stack. Was back down around 12k when I shoved JJ over a raiser. He called with AK and A on river busted me.

PokerStars $20 cubed: One of my new favorite events. Min cashed for ~$110. Nothing real interesting. Doubled midway through first hour with AA. Raised got one caller. Flop Axx. I bet he raises and I call. Get it all in on turn and he shows AK. Then never really played any big pots until I reshoved on a raiser with AK and he calls with QQ and holds.

PokerStars Sunday Million: I played pretty poorly in this. Folded AJ on an AATxx board when he shoved the river. This was in the first 20 mins or so. I had checked on turn thinking I would only get called by a better hand (TT, AK or AQ). Then he open shoves river and just couldn't pull the trigger. Later saw show down some shitty hands so I have no doubts now that I was good there. Was a bad fold by me I think. That hand put me down to ~6500 in chips from original 10k. Got back up to 10k but never over. In third hour, try to resteal with JTs and shoved over raiser. He called with JJ and I am crushed. Out.
Show all
FTOPS Main Event: Probably the best I have played for a whole tournament in some time. Just played real solid. This may sound strange since I basically min cashed and didn't really go super deep bu I made some tough calls and some tough laydowns. Started with ~5800 players and ~720 got paid. ABout 100 from the money an aggressive big stack bully reraised my raise. I tanked with 99 and called. Him AT and off we go to the race. Uneventful as I flopped a 9 for a set. That doubled me up. Later I made a nice laydown with QQ. UTG raised, a solid thinking well known player then reraised pretty small. This screams AA or KK. I tanked and folded. They got it in. UTG had AK and reraiser had AA. Finally, blinds were 1400/2800/200 (I think) and I had 32kish on button. VERY active player raised just in front of me to like 6200. I reshoved for 32k with AQsuited. BB tanks for a while and I don't want a call. He finally calls. Original raiser folds and BB shows QQ. I brick off and am out ~420 for about $1k. That is a standard resteal spot for me but unfortunately BB woke up with a hand.

I did win 6 more seats to FTOPS ME that day though so it was still profitable. I think I have really discovered my niche is mid stakes sit and gos ($33-$75). I can play 6-10 at a time and think this is really where I can grind out a good chunk of change. But that will have to wait until after tax season (just in time to get ready for World Series of Poker!!!)

No comments: