Monday, December 1, 2008

Sunday Win

Played a bunch of tournaments yesterday and was having no success. Busted out of two Full Tilt events ($69 PLO, 24NLHE) fairly deep but before the cash bubble. Two more events I went out pretty early ($24 NLHE and $22 NLHE), one with bad play by me and the other getting sucked out on.

I also played two tournaments on Stars (including the 1.5M guarantee) and did nothing. In the Sunday Million I was actually going along fairly well in the third hour when i made a terrible river call for 90% of my chips. Don't mind how I played the hand just hate that I called off without really thinking it through.

I also went out in the third hour of the Full Tilt 750k. I was not really getting anything going and had 5k or so in chips. The blinds were 140/280/25. I raised to 780 from 2nd position with KK. Button calls. Flop comes 3 rags with 2 hearts. I bet 1300 into the ~2200 pot and he calls. Now at this point his range is an overpair(like TT or 99), a flush draw or a flopped set (think the board was 7, 5, 2). If he has the set nothing I can do. Turn is an offsuit 4. This is unlikely to help him unless he has A3 of hearts. So I fire my remaining ~3k into the pot and he snap calls showing AThh. Obv the river is a heart and I am out. His play here is pretty bad. He put ~5k of his 8k in the pot with really only the flush draw (though the A is live to he is clearly only counting the hearts). Would have put me up around 10k in chips and in good position to go pretty deep.

So I was pretty disappointed with how the day was going and only had one additional tournament, the 3k guarantee which is a $24 Pot Limit HA event (1/2 PL Holdem and 1/2 PLO). I was crusing along not really doing much in this then with about 40 to go I sucked out on a guy with runner runner hearts to make a flush. Then I had some chips and was able to chip up. 18 players cashed and when I got to this point I was 10th in chips. Then I got a fortunate run of cards:

Doubled up with KK in the Holdem portion vs AK suited
Busted a medium stack player with AAxx in PLO when he had KKxx
Flopped boat on a 663 board when I held 3456

Finally with 6 to go I had 100k more in chips then any other players. I then went card dead and played pretty tight until we got 3 handed. I busted the shortstack with AJ vs. his A6. Once we were heads up I had a a huge chip lead which he actually came back and took from me at one point. Then the key hand of the tournament came up in PLO when I rivered 7-J str8. He had made a 9 high str8 on the turn and only bet 1/2 the pot (6k). I called because I had a wrap to the bigger str8 with any 8,9 or T. Well an 8 fell and I led at the pot. He raised me. I checked the board and made sure I had the nuts. I reshipped and amazingly he called with the lower str8. That doubled me up and gave me a 450k to 30k chip advantage. Couple hands later it was over.

So one tournament took what was a really, really bad day and made it a pretty good day. I also won a few hundred playing PLO cash games so overall a pretty good Sunday.

No comments: