Monday, October 27, 2008

Update

Sorry I haven't updated in a while but I was swamped at work from abt late Sept through Oct 15 so while I did play some poker, I didn't play a huge volume.

I did go deep in the Full Tilt Daily Double events earlier in the month finishing 6th and 15th. Making a final table and not closing or at least getting into the top 3 always stings (top 3 all make 700+) and in the case where I finished 6th I got my money in good and lost AJ vs. KT for basically all of my chips. Unfortunately, late in on-line tournaments the average chip stacks are generally never that deep and you just have to take chances like these and hope for the best.

I also have started sattelliting into a few different events including the FT 50-50, Stars nightly 70k guarantee, and a few others. Nothing spectacular has happened in any of the events though I did cash 2x in the FT 50-50. In one case I had a pretty good sized stack (25bb or so) and shoved from the small blind with AQo into a button raiser. Obv he had KK and I was out. But the button raiser could have a lot of hands there and I think my 3 bet shove is ok. If I had 10BB more I think taking a flop is better.

I did take down a smallish PLO tournament a week or so ago (39 players). I got to the FT with the big stack and then a combination of good play and good cards led me to absolutely destroy the final table. I was punishing the cash bubble (5 cashed) and accumulated a lot of chips. When we finally got Heads-Up I had a 90-10 chip lead and just was a matter of time. That cash was worth $300+ which was good for a $20 buy in event.

Finally, I have been playing the Full Tilt Matrix SNG a little bit with some success. These are 4 simultaneous SNGs played with the same players. Each SNG is worth $ and then the overall results from the combined 4 tables is worth additional $. You get points based on the number of people you bust and/or outlast. I haven't figured out the optimal strategy here yet but it seems that folding in some marginal spots that I would normally push makes sense. The key is to really last as long as possible in all 4 and obviously try to win one or two of the individual tournaments.

Golf is pretty well winding down. I did play in two tournaments this month and both were atrocious. I have been pretty busy at work and with the family so I just haven't been playing or practicing much at all. I have one more tournament this weekend and that is basically it for the year. Most likely I will shut it down and not play much if any until next spring. However, I am very disappointed with how my season went and am going to work hard to work on a few things (overall fitness and putting mainly). I played well most of the summer but didn't get it done in key spots and it seems like my putting wasn't my normal reliable self. Also, I just don't have the distance I used to have and need to tone and strengthen up to recover some of that lost distance.

No comments: