Tuesday, June 26, 2012

WSOP review (continued)

Here are the final few tournament summaries from my first trip to Vegas...

  • Venetian $600 Limit Omaha Hi-Lo-For once I actually had a really good table draw.  There were only 2 good players at my starting table.  The rest were a mix of really splashy fish and super tight old guys.  I ran my initial 12k stack to 25k with very little resistance in the first 3 or 4 levels.  I actually reached a high of ~45k then lost a pretty large pot to the table fish with ATT2 with A2s.  Flop was QT7, turn was 4 putting 2 spades out.  We put I think 4 bets in on this turn card and I pretty well had him on QQxx.  River was obviously a 7 and I check called to see what I thought he had.  That hand really took the wind out of my sails.  I grinded for another 2 hours or so before busting with AKQ4dd on Kxxdd flop.  Moral to the story-have to run well deep in limit tournaments-Period.
  • Venetian $400 NLHE-Made another quick trip back to the V for a NLHE event.  Made quads early against a full house and ran from 12k up to 17k in first level.  Bust in 4th level discovered a standard spot for this trip.  UTG raised to 1100 at 200/400/50a.  UTG +1 was playing a ton of hands and 3b to 2400 (these guys are playing a lot of hands and have 20k and 30k respectively).  I wake up with KK on the button and 4b to 4400 (I start hand with 13kish).  Somehow they both flat call and I know how this movie is going to end already.  Flop T86hh.  I shove and both call.  They get it in on J turn and I am drawing dead to 88 and AQhh.  Out yet again in a stupid spot.
  • Venetian $600 PLO-I was really looking forward to this event as I had missed the WSOP PLO event.  Well this one was torture.  Never had any chips and basically hovered between 7500 and 13k for about 6 hours.  Finally at 600/1200 blinds I went with AQJ9 (Q9cc) and ran into 4557 and AAxx.  I started the hand with 11k and given the action I can probably find a fold but whatever, I didn't.
So other than the rungood at Binions I ran really, really bad in tournaments.  Pretty frustrating as I kept getting in spots to pick up a lot of chips only to be outdrawn or brick huge draws.

Hopefully that will end as I return on July 5.  The plan is to play the following events:

  • 7/5 Caesar's $240 Big O
  • 7/6 Either $560 WSOP Bracelet Bounty or $1100 Venetian
  • 7/7 $600 Venetian NLHE
  • 7/8 $600 Venetian NLHE
  • 7/9 $1080 Bellagio NLHE
  • 7/10 $400 Venetian NLHE
Of course I will try to slip a satellite or two in for the WSOP ME but we'll see about that.  With a little bit less bad luck I really feel like a deep run is coming.

2 comments:

jhantu said...

hey
long time reader of your blog, and kind of in a similar boat as you (FT job+major poker interest and dedication to playing poker).

I was wondering what kind of bankroll management do you practise if any for playing these live tourneys.

Brian said...

Yeah that can be an issue. Fortunately, i do pretty well IRL and actually own my own business. For these bigger series it would be easy to burn through 15-20k just playing a bunch of 1500's so I generally sell off 33-50% of my action, typically to friends and other poker players. I also typically focus on more of the middle buy-in events as I feel there is more value there ($400-$1ks). And if I like the tournament I'll play lower buy in stuff too.

I do keep a separate account just for my poker and I never really play super high. Live I play up to 5/5 PLO, 2/5 NLHE and typically up to 20/40 limit games. I can play these games comfortably though I have taken shots as high as 5/10/25 PLO8 and 75/150 Limit O8. I'll also move down if I feel I'm not playing well or running really bad.

I am probably a bit nitty at times in my BRM and that might be from my CPA mentality. For example, I have never played the WSOP ME although I most certainly believe I am +EV in that event.

Hope that helps.