Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WSOP schedule, Deep in SCOOP event, funny phony phone call (Not suitable for Work!!)

I have been working on my schedule for Vegas and the WSOP and this is what I think I have come up with:

June 19th WSOP $3,000 HORSE

June 20th WSOP $1,000 NLHE (if I decide to not play the HORSE on the 19th or am busto in that tournament)

June 21st Venetian $550 NLHE

June 22nd WSOP $1,500 PLO Hi-low 8 or better

June 23rd WSOP $1,500 NLHE

June 24th WSOP $5,000 PLO8 (I will only play this if I have a strong score of say $10k+ prior to this date and feel sharp after the week out there)

July 5th or 6th WSOP $10,000 Main Event

To the extent that I make Day 2s or am burned out from too much tournament poker I will adjust the schedule on the fly. I am particularly excited to play the HORSE and the the PLO8 as I think the mixed games are really my strength and a lot of others play them so poorly. However, the HORSE event will be loaded with talented pros due to the smaller fields than the NLHE events but it will be good to match up with them. HORSE is comprised of the following games (all played as limit games):

Holdem
Omaha Hi-Low (O8 for short)
Razz
7 Card Stud Hi
7 Card Stud Hi-Low (Stud 8 for short)

The following is a listing of my games in order of my strongest to weakest:

1. O8 (my best game overall and not really even close; I am better at pot limit then limit but still very strong in limit)
2. Stud 8 (really enjoy this game and plays similar to O8)
3. Holdem (if this were no limit or pot limit I would put Holdem above Stud 8 but I just really haven't played a ton of Limit Holdem)
4. Razz (Really like this game a lot; another lowball game played similarly to 7 stud)
5. Stud Hi (My weakest game by far but I am at least competent and can read other hands well enough)

So the strategy will be to play smallish pots in Stud Hi and try and win pots in the Hi-Low games. A lot of the poker studs grew up playing Stud (Ivey, Daniel, Doyle, Siedel to name a few) so I will just try and stay out of big hands with those type of guys.

I actually have decided to sell some of my action in these events in $500/share blocks and have sold 8 shares at this point. If anyone is interested in the deal let me know.

I have been playing a good bit on-line during the SCOOP (Spring Championship of On-Line Poker) series that PokerStars is running. They have a unique format that has 3 tournaments running at different buy-in levels of the same game. They designate this by low (L), medium (M) or high (H) buy in levels. I have played a few events in the L (usually $20-50 buy-ins and largest fields obviously) and M (usually $150-500 buy-ins) and have 2 cashes and a deepish run in Event 21-M which was a $150 PLHE/PLO format. I love pot-limit events because it is a bit more nuanced than no-limit where sometimes the player with the biggest balls can run over the table. Pot-limit really requires good post flop play and making more decisions in every hand. Anyway in the event I ended up cashing 22nd for ~$1k out of the original 1450 players. Always frustrating to go deep and not final table but I played really, really well but just never had a ton of chips.

Funny backstory about that event. it was Monday at 2 p.m. so I got home about 1 p.m. and fired up a ton of tournaments in the 1-3 p.m. time frame on both Stars and Full Tilt. I was cruising along until about 3:15 when my internet crashed. I tried everything including calling Comcast to bitch it up with them. I called a poker buddy of mine who lives not too far to have him play for me and I would talk him through until I got to his house. But he was in DC for business. I had approx $600 in tournament buy-ins that I was playing and not about to just give up on it. So I high tailed back to my office (15 mins away) and had to download the software on my office computer and play from there. Left the office when I busted about 1 a.m. I will probably play a few more SCOOP events including (my wife and kids are heading to the beach Friday and Saturday so I have those days to myself. Saturday morning I will play golf obviously):

  • PLO8 (L and M for sure and possibly H which is $1,050 if I satellite in). Thursday at 5:00p.m.
  • NLHE 1 rebuy and 1 add-on (L only most likely. Medium is $200 1rebuy + 1 add-on and too steep for me) Friday 2:00 p.m.
  • Limit Holdem (L only $55) Friday 5:00 p.m.
  • No-Limit Omaha Hi-Low (L and M-$22 and $215) Friday 8:00 p.m.
Meanwhile Full Tilt is also running their "Mini-FTOPS" which mirrors the FTOPS events with 1/10 the buy-ins. So they are large field events with low buy-ins and I will be playing a few of those also:
  • MiniFTOPS #22 NLHE 6 max $22 Friday at 1:00 p.m.
  • MiniFTOPS #23 NLHE Shootout $55 Friday at 5:00 p.m.
  • MiniFTOPS #24 RAZZ $33 Friday at 9:00 p.m.
Hopefully something good will happen to supplement the bankroll before next month.

I had a funny hand last night in a home game tournament with a buddy of mine who shall remain nameless (though if you have watched the 2005 WSOP ME you saw him a lot....lol). So blinds are 800/1600/200a and I open red AA to 4200. The knucklehead calls me on the button and we take a flop together. Flop comes TJQ which is about the worst possible flop for Aces imaginable. I think and decide to check and see what he does. He thinks for a bit and bets 6k into the 12.8k pot. So now my turn to think. We both have 40k to start the hand so another ~36k after the flop bet. This is a really awkward spot for me. If I raise to say 15k and he shoves I probably have to fold and that is really bad to put half my stack in and fold. If I call and check the turn he is going to bet again and we are right back in the same spot. If I take the lazy way out and shove he only calls if I am beat (there is a small chance he calls with AQ but that is really it). So after thinking it through I look over at him and he is doing something very different for him (can't reveal tells but it was pretty strong one :) ). I look a little longer and now I am convinced I am beat. Finally I ask if he has any idea what I have and he will not believe what I am about to fold. He says "do you have Aces?" I say yup and fold face-up. He looks completely deflated and doesn't show. He absolutely shows if he was bluffing. Whole table is like "How the f%%# can you fold AA to him?" Finally, he sends me a text this morning and says he had AK for a flopped str8. But he often has the following range here: 89, JT, QJ, KQ, KJ, QT, AK, J9, maybe Q9 suited, TT and even JJ or QQ. In addition, he has random hands containing a 9 or K which would give him and up and down str8 draw and i am not that far ahead of that range at all. So sick spot for sure but I think I made the right fold. There is some non-zero percentage chance he has total air but the rest of his range is heavily weighted towards hands that beat me.

On a non-poker note, as you may know I am an avid Stern listener. For those that don't listen, he has 2 morons on the show, Richard and Sal, who make phony phone calls and other childish pranks. Some are priceless but this one is my absolute favorite. They terrorize various radio stations in the south and midwest that host "Tradio" programs where people call or email in with goods or services that wish to sell and others can contact them to buy those products. Oftentimes it seems these shows are hosted on Christian radio stations. So, in this case, these two retards email a list of "items" that they have to sell and the female hosts comment on the items with obviously no clue what the items are . This clip is not suitable for work but man is it funny:

No comments: