Friday, April 23, 2010

Borgata Spring Open Part 1

I went up this past Monday for the first part of the series. Before that on Sunday night I played a handful of tournaments and actually made 3 final tables. Final tabled the Big Double again (the one that I won in the previous post) ultimately finishing 3rd and two Omaha 8 or better tournaments on Poker Stars. So it was ~$3k profit night which is a good way to start off the post tax season poker play.

Got up there abt. 10:30 for the $560 Deep Stack event and found my seat. To say I was card dead/missing flops would be an understatement. It was really bad but I stayed patient and finally found a good spot. I had drifted down to ~13k in chips from the 25k starting stack (basically raising and missing flops and having to fold).

Finally at 200/400/50a I raise AK to 1100 and BB calls (older bad player). Flop comes A88 and big fella ain't folding. BB leads for 1300 and I call intending to get it all in on the turn. Turn is a 5 and he leads again for 2,200. I ship ~10.5k and he insta-snap calls with AT...obv T on the river and I am out...weeeee. I did give him a parting shot of "I guess you thought I had A9 sir?"

I then played 1/2 cash for some strange reason with a buddy of mine who only plays that level. Well 90 mins in these donks had me 3 buy-ins down (i.e. $900) and scratching my head about wtf was going on. The coup-de-gras was a pot raised to 10 and 3 callers. I make it 100 to go with KK and get 2 callers. Flop comes 35T (with 2 clubs). I ship the remaining ~200 and get snap called by 37cc and he obv gets there. Good call pre monkey. But I told myself I was not getting up until I was even. Took about 5 more hours but ended up about $130 at about 4 a.m. and went to bed.

Tuesday was the $350 tournament and got a few over 200 players. I min-cashed this event and will do a separate entry on it because there were a lot of interesting spots and really tough folds that I had to make.

Wednesday was the $200 with 1 re-entry meaning if you went broke in the first four levels you could re-buy one time. Well I wasn't sure I was going to play so I hadn't pre-registered. Dumb move for Bri-Bri. Ended up having to wait over an hour to register and finally got to my seat in the middle of level 3. Chipped up rather easily from 10k to ~12.5k when the re-entry period ended. We go on break and come back to find that I have the button for the first hand back. This tournament was full of total retards since the buy-in was so low. Just needed a good spot and I thought I would pick up a lot of chips. SO first hand back from break, blinds are 150/300/25a and a complete donktard raises to 1300 (lol). Funny how when tards raise so big they essentially turn their hands face-up (this is almost always JJ-AA but more heavily weighted to KK-AA). I call the button with 33. If I hit this I am getting all the chips in since donkey boy can't fold what is obviously JJ-AA. BB calls as well and 3 to flop. Flop comes 237 with 2 spades. Ding ding ding!!!! But I suspect that this won't end well for the big fella. BB bets 2500, original raiser shoves and I obviously stick it in. BB tanks then which is great because if he has 77 his chips are insta going in. Finally he calls and reveals TT, original raiser shows KK and they are both surprised that I am ahead with my set...lol. A good internet player was at my table and knows me and how I play and before the hands were exposed he laughs and says "set in seat 8 is the winner". Obviously I was in seat 8. Anyway I prepare to scoop a ~40k pot. Turn is a spade and river is Q spades so Mr. KK shove-tard wins when his Ks back doors the flush. Well played by all. The TT call is the lol-best.

So I'm out and started playing 2/5. For once I was able to completely run over the table. 3 limpers then raise to $25 in late position by a pretty loose aggressive (i.e. LAGtard) player who thinks he is Tom Dwan. 2 callers. I squeeze AKs in the BB and make it $175 to go. Guy gives me a speech: "Do you realize you are only getting called by a better hand?" Finally they all fold and as I am dragging a ~$100 pot I ask him if he has any more pearls for me so I can take notes. Few hands later he raises again, I 3 bet JTs from the button and only he calls. Flop KT3. He checks I bet 3/4 of the pot and he folds. "I will trap you sir" I hear to my right. I ask him if he takes lessons from Phil Hellmuth given all of the inane chatter I am hearing. Couple orbits later I 3 bet him again...this time with AA. He raises a few limpers to 30. I make it 150 from the SB and he calls. Flop I don't love QJx. I lead 200, he shoves ~450 total and I call to see TT. I hold and he slinks off. Anyway I ended the session up nearly $1,500 and then moved to the Omaha game where I eeked out another $200 profit session before off to bed.

I head back up on Sunday to satellite into the ME which is a $3,500 buy in affair. This will be my biggest buy-in tournament ever and features 30k starting stacks and 75 minute levels. I am playing Day 1b which starts on Monday.

No comments: