Monday, November 9, 2009

November

Playing a lot of poker this month and will probably try to for the remainder of the year. I am attempting to achieve Supernova status on PokerStars by 12/31. I need to play a ton of volume for the remainder of the year to get there but I think I can do it. Unfortunately, I really did not play much at all on Stars over the summer other than miscellaneous tournaments and so I have a lot of making up to do. Getting to Supernova is worth about ~$4,500 for me between cash bonuses along the way and frequent player points so it is worth it I think.

I actually hired a guy to look at my on-line cash play and see where he could discover my weaknesses (leaks) and help me plug those up. Basically he asked me to drop down a level and play WAY more aggressively pre and post flop. So I have done that over the last week or so and the results have been mind blowing. Want to get a lot more hands in before I go back up but if early results are an indication this more loose aggressive style (LAG) is more fun to play and muchmore profitable. Here is a good example (just playing NL$50 in this case):

Me (cutoff) ~$100 stack- raise to $1.75 with T5suited
Button-also ~$100 reraises to $6.00
Folds back to me and I 4 bet to $17.50 (I will fold to a 5 bet)
Button thinks and thinks and finally folds (claims he had JJ)

Now in this case the button was a spewy player who had 3 bet me once or twice before and had commented in the chat that I was playing too many hands. Obviously against a tighter more solid player this is an easy fold. This play was not in my arsenal on-line 2 weeks ago (live maybe but not on-line).

I actually have the theory that on-line games are the same as live games if you multiply the big blind by 10. S0 for example .25/.50 on-line is roughly the same as 2/5 live and .50/1.00 on-line would equate to 5/10 live. This seems to be accurate for me as I pretty much have no trouble beating 2/5 when I play and have mixed results at 5/10. Hopefully this new approach will translate to better live results too.

Speaking of which I am heading to the Taj for the USPC Omaha Hi-Low (O8) on Wednesday. I have heard that the turnouts have been OK so hopefully there will be a decent number for this event. Don't get to play much tournament O8 so this is always fun. Live players in this game are soooooo bad. Of course I probably just jinxed myself and won't even make it to the dinner break...lol.

I am actually leaving at lunch today to play the FTOPS Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Lo which starts at 2. I won 15 seats to this event so feel like I should give it a go. I really have played NO tournament poker on-line in a good while so we shall see. Will update if anything interesting happens.

No comments: